Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fest My Face!

I should have written this several days ago, possibly more, but with a new job and seemingly swamped schedule (yet what have I actually done in the past few weeks?) I have not gotten around to putting one Festival of a weekend down-on-blog.

I can't even remember which weekend it was.  I'd have to look up the dates.

At any rate, that Saturday I went to the Renaissance Faire with a very good friend of mine and her buddy from Texas.  They were in for the week and, well, Ren Faires are fun.  I snuck in my bottle of water (sorry, I'm a bit anti-paying-several-dollars-for-bottled-water) and a Cliff bar since I wasn't sure what the food plans were and if there would be anything vegan-friendly there anyhow.  Unless you were in the Far East, I don't imagine very many vegans during the Renaissance period.  I watched Becca and Laura share stewed mushrooms, a turkey leg, and a brownie.  I got hungry at one point and had to venture off on my own to seek out sustenance.  The safest option seemed to be a plate full of tempura vegetables.  Freshly fried veggies on a hot and steamy day.  Mmmm.  They were delicious but I paid for it later.  The best find? Becca spotted a vegan-sugar-free-chocolate-chip-cookie at the bakery.  It was delicious, especially right on top of those veggies.


Sunday I struck out on my own to go to the Veggie Fest for the first time ever.  I earned myself a nice sunburn for forgetting my sunscreen and I didn't get to buy any t-shirts because I forgot to get cash.  Booo.  But I loaded up on fliers and samples (when available).  It would have been better had I not been dripping sweat.  There were more spirituality and yoga booths than I expected considering it was a vegetarian festival, not a spirituality festival.  I guess many people feel the two go hand in hand (and this is where I run into trouble trying to connect with other vegetarians in get-togethers and meet-ups).

Anyhow, guess who ended up getting toys from Veggie Fest?  That's right, the carnivorous dogs!  Pawdukes, a really great dog biscuit company (grain free, vegetarian, soy free), had a booth and they gave me some free samples since they didn't have any cookies small enough for my snots with them but I would have been a repeat customer.  And then I saw the squeaky toys they had for sale.  Perfect sized for my perfect brats!

I did buy myself a 1 year subscription to VegNews magazine.  Because I'm not behind on reading my other magazines already.  And because I don't already get Vegetarian Times.  VegNews is a vegan-only magazine.  I figure I could get some ideas and pointers.

Then I met up with a couple of buddies at Starbucks and had a soy-mocha-frappuccino.  I really need to rake in the stars to retain my Gold status next year!  (No, I don't have a problem...)

No comments:

Post a Comment