Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mushroom on a Stock

Ha, I got you with that title, didn't I?  Okay, so it was lame.  At least I tried.

Today I made mushroom stock, the first stock or broth I've ever made from scratch.  It was surprisingly easy and the aroma filling the kitchen definitely pleased my nostrils.  I was just sad to dump all those delicious mushrooms and onions and garlic and goodies after all was done boiling away.  I suppose I could have saved it for another recipe, but all the flavor had been juiced out.

I haven't used any yet.  We use broth and stock quite a bit around here, though.  Instead of using water for couscous and rice, we use vegetable or "fake chicken" broth to add flavor and depth to the dish.  I saw the mushroom stock recipe in my mom's latest issue of Cooking Light and thought it sounded not only unique and different, but fabulously delicious.  I love mushrooms.

You're probably waiting for the problem.  There's got to be a problem here.  Nope!  Well, I used celery instead of leeks, but that was by choice.  And the oil burned to the bottom of the pot, but I'm letting it soak and maybe I'll fall asleep before remembering to scrub again and then Dad'll do it for me.  Haha.  Wishful thinking.

In other news, today is Ed Asner's birthday.  Happy 80th birthday, Ed!  You're probably wondering what Ed Asner's birthday has to do with my blog.  Well, looking at his filmography (which oddly includes TV) I was reminded of Mary Tyler Moore.  I adore that woman for her charm, her work, and her activism.  And I just read that she's a vegetarian!  Go, Mary!



Sleep well--there's a full week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment