Monday, December 21, 2009

I Got My Books!

The title is not very unique and catchy, but it gets right to the point.  I got my books.  I had a short list of items on my Hanukkah list this year and I emailed it in document form to my mom and allowed her to forward it on to anybody that might need it.  Our extended family always picks names out of a hat/cup/bowl to make gift giving easier (although it never is) and a little bit surprising (which it rarely is).  


I didn't know if my mom would give the entire list to whichever family member picked my name, or if she would pick one or two items off of the list as ideas for the lucky relative.  The top two items on the list were vegan books: The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone and Vegan with a Vengance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.  I had been wanting Moskowitz's book for awhile after seeing it in a local Borders store and then hearing rave reviews.  Then after seeing Alicia Silverstone all over the media with her new book, I went nuts with the need to own it.  


Hanukkah passed and I didn't get either book from my parents or my brother.  I had lost hope and was ready to cough up the money by myself.  My aunt was a sly gift-wrapper though, and at our family Hanukkah party I unwrapped an old shoe box and thought to myself, I didn't ask for shoes and why would somebody buy gym shoes as a gift anyhow?  


Sneaky, sneaky!  She hid the books inside the box!  I was quite giddy after that and wanted to run home and start cooking.  The best thing I've found so far?  They both mention tempeh!!  


Oh, and my aunt reminded me, something I never noticed, that both books are by Jewish women.  Is this a trend?  


My brother's girlfriend who was sitting next to me during the gift-opening sessions looked over and asked, "Are those the kind of books you read?"  The funny thing is, I knew exactly what she meant.  Silverstone's book is part informational and part recipes.  So, only partly the kind you read.  Unless you're the type of person who sits down and reads a cookbook front to back.  I haven't gotten to that point yet.  


AND....(yes, there is more)


While helping one of my very best friends finish her holiday shopping today, we happened upon Urban Outfitters and their display of cupcakes--several cupcake books lying amongst other cupcake-themed goodies.  One book, BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery, caught her eye and she asked me if I wanted it because she knows I am a baking fanatic.  That's right folks, she hadn't bought for me yet.  She'll get a tsking later.  I told her I wanted to be surprised, so she went to the register and purchased it stating that she would wrap it beautifully later.  

Previous vegetarian cookbook count: 2
Current vegetarian cookbook count: 4
Future vegetarian cookbook count: 5

The cookbook cabinet is in a tight squeeze now.

No comments:

Post a Comment