Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Vegetarian 2009

2009 marked my nine-year anniversary of becoming a vegetarian and I decided on that anniversary to give up dairy and become "almost-vegan."  Needless to say, I've learned a lot and have more to learn than I ever thought possible.  I've decided to compose a list of what I learned this year in the realm of vegan dieting:

1. It is very hard to find certain pre-made food items without dairy ingredients.  Even when you think dairy wouldn't be necessary and wouldn't think dairy would be an ingredient at all, many times it is.  Whey and milk solids sneak up on you like unwelcome birthdays (okay, okay, I'm not that old yet.  But it was a good comparison, no?)

2. Tofu is good.  It takes a lot of draining and some creativity, but baked, broiled, or pan fried, it is a tasty source of protein that is good for dieting, too!  I never thought I'd put tofu on the grocery list on such a regular basis.  I still haven't gotten my parents to partake in the bean curd goodness, but it is a vital source of protein that I finally have gotten myself to accept and eat.

3. Even with all the nifty vegan replacements out there like Earth Balance vegan spreads and Tofutti sour creams, baked goods will never be exactly the same without dairy ingredients (I will let you know when I find the perfect recipes!)  They're all a little less buttery (obviously) and a little more dry.  I could use something like vegetable shortening, but that would involve hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, just the sound of which hardens my arteries.

4. Veganizing is expensive.  Whether it's buying vegan butter replacements, vegan sour cream, or any other speciality ingredient for baked goods and special meals, stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are not cheap.  Typical grocery stores don't always carry the necessary ingredients and those they do are sometimes marked up because they aren't in high demand or are just expensive to make.  And my humane certified eggs?  Expensive!  I need a job.

5. You can't rely on people to remember that you've changed your diet.  I should have remembered from back in high school when I became a vegetarian, although completely giving up meat products is a bigger change that giving up dairy.  More people remembered back then, but it still took a lot of reminding.  People are also more likely to make sure there is something for a lacto-ovo vegetarian to eat than for a vegan.  I admit, it's easier for the average eater to prepare food for a lacto-ovo vegetarian.  But really, it's not hard to make vegan food.

6. Being dairy free feels good!  I've known for quite awhile that I'm sensitive to dairy food, but I didn't know I'd feel so much better completely off of dairy foods.  Granted, I've had some digestive issues due to swine flu, antibiotics, and some other digestive problems I have, but over all I'm less bloated, less gassy, and more regular.  And I know you all wanted to know that!

7. Don't be surprised to find omnivores, very set in their ways, to be afraid of vegan foods no matter how normal they may seem.  Just the word vegan can weird people out.  Some people are scared of new things.  Vegetarians and vegans are so used to trying new and "ethnic" foods because otherwise our food choices would be very limited.  Omnivores aren't as pressured to expand their tastebuds and thus don't always want to.

8. Chefs, even at the cheaper restaurants, are usually eager to please.  If you say you're a vegan, the chef is usually ready to doctor something up for you, take out an ingredient from a listed entree, or create a new plate of food not listed at all.  This aim to please, after all, is what pays the bills.

9. Some locations are more vegan friendly than others.  The suburbs are okay.  Chicago is better because it's more diverse.  A place like London would be even better because of the large Indian population.  I would eat very well in California (and not just because I'd be raiding Rachel's kitchen).  Texas doesn't even understand the lacto-ovo vegetarian yet.  Texas is special, though.

10.  Lastly but definitely not leastly (I know it's not a word), not everyone accepts the vegan.  Even parents can find it difficult to come to terms with their daughter's anti-dairy ways.  It's a clash of values, generations, and comfort.  But you have to realize that maybe hard time people give you is out of love and caring and a genuine worry that you aren't getting enough nutrients and protein.  But you can't let it go to your head or get too far beaten down.  If nobody ever stuck to his or her guns, where would we be?

The end.

4 comments:

  1. Nice insights! Good look into both "sides" of your journey. I can see how it would be difficult to accommodate sometimes (coming from an omnivore POV), but I can't understand how someone would be unaccepting of it.

    My son's pretty hard-core about being at least lacto-ovo vegetarian for life (and I sort of am by default, at least when I'm around him), and I can easily see him transitioning to vegan at some point. I've gotten grief for that even, like he's malnourished or undernourished (and there is a difference, a favorite nitpick of mine). He is most certainly neither.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to publish a new post about the malnourish/undernourish thing shortly. Shortly, of course, being completely relative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was some article a while ago about a kid whose parents fed him nothing but fast food -- but a LOT of it. My husband said, sarcastically, "Well, HE'S certainly malnourished."

    I couldn't help it. "He actually is, you know," I said.

    Did I mention my resolution to be less of a know-it-all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha. One of mine is to hold my tongue in front of my parents. I'm pretty sure Goucher, among other things, has taught me to wag my tongue a little too freely.

    ReplyDelete