Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Salivating for a Sandwich

A few days ago I did a web search for vegan-friendly bakeries.  My birthday is approaching and the thought crossed my mind, where will I get my cake?  I can't have dessert at a restaurant or from the grocery store bakery anymore.  

A few bakeries came up in the search, most located in the city.  All of them quite expensive.

One bakery was also a cafe.  I stopped in at the Sweet Dreams Organic Bakery and Cafe yesterday to take a look--and a taste.  The atmosphere was pleasant, much like your average Starbucks Cafe or Caribou Coffee location.  Tables brought together small gatherings of diners and sippers amidst brown and petal-pink decor.

I didn't bother to read the menu in full, simply blurting out that I'd have a grilled vegetable sandwich, a la carte and to go.  The girl behind the counter made the sandwich from scratch as evidenced by how long I wandered the dining/lounging area picking up fliers and browsing the cookies and cakes while I waited.  It took a significant amount of will power to leave without a vegan cupcake or cookie of some variety.

In the car I unwrapped the warm sandwich to some surprising ingredients.  As I took a bite, I flipped open the menu I had taken to find out I was given a tofu sandwich instead of a grilled vegetable sandwich.  Instead of returning it, I ate it.

My tastebuds did a little dance across my tongue and I may have even said, "Mmm, that's good!" aloud to myself.  Seasoned tofu, roasted red peppers, grilled zucchini, and leafy greens were piled carefully on vegan ciabatta bread spread generously with zesty hummus.  The only mistake I made was eating the whole darned thing.  It was enough for two meals.

I will be going back to Sweet Dreams again despite relatively high prices.  Next time, I will indulge my sweet teeth.  (Yes, I have multiple.)

No comments:

Post a Comment