Sunday, January 10, 2010

And So Begins 2010

Not much has happened in the ten days of the new year, especially food related.  I haven't even used my new cookbooks yet.  Mainly, whenever I go to find a recipe there either isn't anything I can make with the ingredient I am looking to cook, or whatever looks appealing I don't have the ingredients for at the moment.  There are several key vegan-cooking ingredients that I will need to learn to keep in the cabinets and refrigerator, things I've never used before or that we don't keep regularly.  I also need to learn to plan a dish several days in advance so that I can go buy the ingredients that I don't have.

Salad dressing:
I made a salad dressing with flax seed oil several days ago.  I used the typical 2-1 ratio of oil-to-vinegar with balsamic vinegar.  It was a very simple dressing, no recipe, but it was very, very balsamic-y.  I think this is in part due to flax seed oil being nearly tasteless, and the balsamic vinegar has been sitting in our cabinet for a very long time.  Today I doctored the dressing up a bit and it's interesting to say the least, edible, maybe quirky?  I added a bit of walnut oil (which is also high in omega-3s) and a splash of orange juice (we don't have lemons or lemon juice in the house).  Next time I think I'll use half flaxseed oil and half walnut oil.

Popcorn:
I got my microwave popcorn bowl in the mail!  It is my new favorite toy.  The first time I used it, I over-popped my popcorn and it burned, but I ate it anyway.  I topped it with some melted Earth Balance spread and salt.  The next time I popped it just right and sprayed some cooking spray on top for a light oil-taste and no fat.  I think I need to experiment with different oils and perhaps buy popcorn salt.  Mmmm.  I love popcorn!  I bought the bowl from Amish Country Popcorn whose popcorn I have as well.  It's delicious stuff.


Happy Eatings!

No comments:

Post a Comment