Tuesday, September 22, 2009

And So Begins a New Year

It's been longer than I wanted in between posts here.  Generally when I start a blog, I post a few times and then the blog dies.  I told myself I'd blog here A LOT and here I went a weekend without even reading my friends' blogs.

But I have an excuse!  It was a holiday weekend for me.  In case you didn't catch on, I'm Jewish.  It was the Jewish new year this weekend, Rosh Hashanah.

So, to update everyone, I made my own challahs for the holiday.  Challah is a traditional Jewish egg bread, but seeing as I only eat humane certified eggs I couldn't just eat any store bought challah!  So I made my own.  Four adorable little challahs.  Even my mom called them cute.  I don't normally bake bread and I've never made a challah from scratch (bought the pre-made dough already braided in the freezer section and popped it in the oven, yes).  Let me tell you, kneading dough should be a sport.  But the challah turned out better than I expected.  It was a bit doughier than I would have liked, but it was good enough for my parents to eat with me.  We still have two in the freezer, but they won't go to waste.  We love bread here.






I also made those butterhorns I posted about earlier.  I bought vegan sour cream and used all vegetable spread instead of butter.  They didn't turn out half-bad, either.  It wasn't easy.  The dough didn't chill to the firmness that the original dough does.  That could be because I didn't chill it overnight as my mom does, but I have a feeling it was the ingredient swap.  The dough consistency made rolling the cookies especially difficult.  The fragile dough was sticky and tore on many of the cookies.  Oh well, it was an experiment!  The final product tastes pretty darn good.  They are a little drier than the original and less buttery in flavor, but tasty nonetheless.  Of course my mom prefers the original.  I'm sure I would were I not almost-vegan.  This baking thing is all about experimenting and trial and error right now.

My next experiment will be with agave nectar.  But I'm running into conflicting information about the sweetener, so I'll have to do a little research first.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment