Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Being a Crybaby

I could tell you all a fabulous rendition of what happened today (and it's only 2:23pm CST!) but I think it would be easier on my lazy-ass self and perhaps a bit enjoyable on your part if I simply copy and paste the email I sent to my parents whining like a small child.

First, you may need a mini glossary:

Butterhorn- a cookie often compared to rugelach that my mom is famous for baking.  The recipe can be found in The All New Portal to Good Cooking, 1972 edition.  I am attempting to make a dairy-free version of this recipe.

Bill and Bailey- My family's two spoiled dachshunds.  If we leave the garbage can in the kitchen on the floor when we leave, Bill knocks it over and they feast on grossness.  Eww.

Dingo- Not to be confused with the canine from down under, this is a brand of dog treat.  The original (the brand has now created a whole line of treats) is a knotted bone with meaty, jerky stuff wrapped inside.  Bill and Bailey LOVE them and steal them from each other and hide them from each other and LOVE them.

Dominick's- The local grocery store chain.

Trader Joe's- an awesome grocery store chain found nationwide that carries amazing stuff



Okay then, here's the email...


Mommy and Daddy,

This is my five minutes of being a complaining five year old.

I slipped out of the house soooo easily today after giving Bill and Bailey the pre-used dingos on the kitchen counter.  I drove to Dominick's to buy some stuff we need for butterhorns and the spiced tea recipe Mom and I want to try (as well as band-aids and foot spray...)  Well, everything was fine until I got to the stick margarine.  It turns out that Dominick's only carries butter and partial vegetable oil spread in stick form.  There are no purely vegetable-based options.  That means the stick stuff we've been using has DAIRY in it.  UGH.  I took two boxes for you guys to use but was full of the irritables at the fact that only tub stuff was vegan--and not recommended for baking.  

But I figured nothing I was buying would rot/spoil/curdle/or do the like in the 5 minutes it would take me to park, run into Trader Joe's, buy some vegan sticks, and get back in the car.  

I was nearly hit by 2 different cars in the same aisle of that darned parking lot!  AHHHH!!!!!  It's a Wednesday afternoon, why aren't people at work???  

So I went into the store all shaking with adrenaline and frustration.  I get to the buttery section and it's all PURE BUTTER!  Of all places, Trader Joe's only has pure butter???  What????  So I start looking at the tubs and see that some of it is vegetable junk.  There was a vegan brand.  I looked it over and on the uses suggested it said baking.  So I bought it.  I know it goes against the don't-use-tubbed-butter-or-margarine-for-baking, but it says it right on the tub!  And the cashier complimented my ring.  So I felt a little better.

Until I tried carrying the two paper bags I requested at Dominick's at the same time to the garage door (because my opener still doesn't work on Mom's side I had to open it with the key pad).  One of the bags broke.  I finally got inside to woofs and squeaks (Bailey was hiding with a dingo under the blanket she was under when I gave her the dingo upon leaving) and was so happy for it until....GARBAGE!  I was so proud of myself for my get away that I forgot to put the damned thing up.  UUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHH.  There wasn't much inside and I think a fruit fly died being sucked into the dust buster, but I think I might need a tranquilizer now or something.  Maybe that entire chocolate bar from the freezer.  

*sigh*

I hope you guys are doing much much better.

xoxo
Me

2 comments:

  1. jill: i recommend earth balance all the way. it comes in tubs, and in rare grocery stores sticks. i've been baking with it for years. i hope your cookies came out well!

    hugs,
    rachel

    ps- trader joe's is only mediocre in terms of vegan food. whole foods or co-ops are always better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trader Joe's is literally next door to my house. Okay, so it's in the shopping center next to the furniture store next to my house, but you get the idea. That's why I shop there as often as I do. Convenience rocks.

    ReplyDelete