Thursday, September 3, 2009

Let me introduce myself...

Hello!

I am going to make this as straightforward as possible while still being myself. Ha. Here goes nothing.

So, as you can see I have started this blog, The Adventures of an Almost Vegan, to document my glorious journey through the path of veganism. That makes it sound like I'll be finishing at some point, doesn't it? Well, have no fear, friends. I don't intend to take up animal consumption again. With one exception which I will explain shortly.

Who
I am Jill. I am a recent graduate of an MFA program meaning I have 3 degrees and no job. I like to call myself a writer. I am also a daughter, sister, pets' human, cook, consumer, and so forth. I am many things. I am a vegetarian.

What
Yea. That almost-vegan thing throws a lot of people. Sometimes I call it pseudo-vegan. I completely understand if the terms bug you, make you angry, or make you want to gauge my eyes out. I can see how it is like fish eaters calling themselves pesca-vegetarians. There is no such thing. If you kill an animal to eat it, you are not a vegetarian. Simple as that. So what's the with the almosts and pseudos? I refuse to eat dairy, but I will eat eggs that have been certified humane or that come from farms overseen by the American Humane Association. I don't eat them often because they are pricey, but they are in my fridge. See? I'll show you...

When
Nine years ago as of August 28, 2009, actually. I was in middle school when I started my quest towards vegetarianism and by the time I was a sophomore in high school, I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Just this past month I cut out dairy and most eggs.

Why
This is the big one. I don't do it for health reasons, although I am healthier and happier than I ever have been. I do it for ethical reasons. I don't believe animals should have to suffer or die for my consumption. Back in high school I thought dairy and eggs were okay. Cows and chickens aren't dying to give me milk and eggs. This summer I read a couple of books (well, one and a half...I'm still working on one...) and was reminded of the truth. Most egg farms don't treat the chickens well at all and the conditions are horrendous. There is no humane way to get dairy. I immediately went vegan. Then I found a few brands of eggs that are "humane." These eggs are either humane certified to ensure the chickens are treated properly, or overseen by the American Humane Association for the very same reason. I have no problem eating an egg from a happy, healthy chicken. And let me tell you, you can taste the difference!

And so, folks, I present to you the Almost-Vegan. And here are my stories, which should be far more entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. Nice introduction, Jill. I look forward to reading more.

    I myself am a sort-of-sometimes vegetarian (other times not at all), but really should get around to figuring out exactly where I stand on that. I eat eggs and dairy, but I try to figure out if they come from a humane source. I don't always look into it. Now, however, David's on me all the time to check out the treatment of any animal that has anything to do with anything, so he'll make me a better person yet. And, I can always cheat and come here to learn what you've learned!

    ReplyDelete