Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Do Not Like Plastic Wrap


I do not like plastic wrap for several reasons.

1. It sticks to itself. Once plastic wrap has stuck to itself, it is incredibly hard to unstick. There goes some perfectly good wrap.

2. If you are trying to preserve freshness, a plastic container is more eco-friendly and does a better job anyhow.

3. The serrated edge. I have never been good at the pull-and-tear of plastic wrap which causes the earlier mentioned sticking. But as I learned last night, the serration is dangerous.

After Mom sent me a lovely forwarded email about the amazingness of bananas (they are truly amazing), I decided banana bread was in order. Mom doesn't like bananas unless they are mashed into goop and baked into a delicious bread with chocolate chips dancing throughout. I don't blame her--it is quite decadent.

Since I've been on a look-through-Jill's-own-personal-cookbooks thing, I decided to check out what sort of new recipe I could find in The Ultimate Peanut Butter Book, a cookbook my parents bought for me, knowing full well that I have no willpower against peanut butter.

After messing with the recipe a bit to make it more waist-friendly, along came a peanut butter banana bread (with chocolate chips added, of course) to kill any peanut allergy. Moist and peanut buttery and chocolaty and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So I pre-sliced the loaf in order to see how many "servings" I could get out of it and calculate the Weight Watchers points. There wasn't a proper container tall enough for all the slices, so I thought a temporary lid of plastic wrap would do. Until I went for the box of wrap.

I felt each serration in my finger. The thought sends chills down my back. Slice, slice, slice. Of course I jumped, squealed, and stuck my finger in my mouth in a matter of 15 seconds. Did you know that we stick our wounds in our mouths instinctively? Our saliva contains a chemical or compound or something that helps to heal wounds more quickly. So, go ahead, lick your wounds!

My right index finger (and I'm a righty, gosh dang it) is still tender to the touch and sports a nice white line if you take off my neon colored bandage. I thought it would be cool to go around with a bright band on my finger so people can say "and you're how old?" Actually, they're the ones with the antibiotic junk already applied. Spiffy. But the cut is all white from being moist, so my picture can't give you the full effect of my injured glory. I tried to make up for it with my face.


In other news:
I am going to start recommending/reviewing books. They will have something to do with food and/or vegetarianism. Yea, I know how much you wanted to know my thoughts on Pride and Prejudice, but I have to stick to the theme!

It's only fitting to start with the Ultimate Peanut Butter Book. There are many meat dishes in the book, so don't dive in expecting a vegetarian heaven, but what is animal friendly is creative and delicious. A recipe for a peanut butter sandwich is not just spread some pb on the bread and go, it involves baking the bread and making the spread! Duuuuude. You can also fiddle with the recipes as I like to do and use meat substitutes, dairy substitutes, or just get ideas for your own dishes. Mmmm, peanut butter. Now I'm hungry. And my finger needs a rest.

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. I freaking hate plastic wrap. Like seriously, I get angry whenever I have to use it. It's reusable plastic dishes all the way.

    Yesterday:
    Me: "What are you DOING?"
    My husband: "I'm ... throwing away the empties?"
    Me: "But, but ... we can reUSE those!"

    Also? Peanut butter addiction, teaching me saliva/instinct factoids, making waist friendly peanut butter recipes, that bread ... will you marry me?

    ReplyDelete